Doctor in Training

Hi. My name is Rikki and I am now a Family and Preventive Medicine resident in Southern CA. I hope you enjoy what nonsense I decide to post. Thanks for visiting my blog!!

Thursday, December 1

More On Tests and Also a Life Update

I feel like all I post about is tests and my grades. Well, in a week and a half I will have more tests! Another full week of exams, but this time most of them are cumulative so they will be a bit harder. I can't believe that I am almost half way done with my first year of med school. It feels like I just started! We are learning some pretty cool stuff right now. I learned how to do an abdominal exam and we are learning a bunch of immunology. I have been learning about laboratory tests, which is really neat because I worked in a clinical lab for two years and now I am learning what all those blood tests are for! Sometimes I really wonder what I am getting myself into, but I know I would not be happy doing anything else with my life.

I have to start thinking about what I will do with my summer. It is the last summer that I will get, pretty much for the rest of my life. My original plan, as many of you know, was to have a baby but that didn't really work out so now I have to think of a plan B! I think I will have to get a job, so I am considering doing research since I will not only make money but it also looks good on a resume.

Many of you know that before I started school I was healing from a bad disk in my back. Well, I am very happy to say that I am pretty much healed and I no longer take pain medication. I still have pain almost daily but it is not that noticeable anymore and it mostly comes after sitting for long periods of time. I have learned to live with it and I don't think it has impaired my studying at all.

An update about moving: I don't think it will be happening for a while. The church is struggling to pay Steve right now so we can't really justify paying rent when we don't know if he will be getting paid in the future. I'm sure it will all work out in the end, but for now we are happy where we are, although the commute really stinks!

I am really looking forward to Christmas and a full two weeks off from school! It will hopefully be a good time of recuperation and I hope to be energized to start another quarter. Hopefully I will be able to post more too!

1 Comments:

  • At 8:45 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I think this sounds great. Homes and family and school have a way of working themselve out I think, When the time is right you will know.
    I am excited about Christmas break too, Two weeks without any deadlines, I wonder if I'll get bored. Somehow I am sure I ll manage!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home